Archive for August, 2009
- I have a plan to write X number of words per week.
- I have a plan to submit X number of articles/queries per month.
- I have a plan to complete X number of Masters’ courses per year.
- I have a plan to wake up at this time or that time every day.
- I have a plan to make this or that a priority, “for real” this time.
Then I scrap all the plans and start again. Whoever said “those who fail to plan, plan to fail”, well… they obviously never met me!
Inevitably, my plans fail over and over again. It’s this bizarre cycle that I can’t seem to break. Every time I make a new set of plans, I feel like I’m getting a fresh start. Another chance to ‘get it right’, and how could it go wrong with such a perfect plan?
I’m still trying to figure that one out. Trying to figure out how to hit that sweet spot where motivation is accessible, and how to cover over that inevitable, often comfortable, pit of despair that we writers fall into.
What about you? Do you make plans & are you able to carry them off consistently? What keeps you on the right track?